FirstNet Weekly Update - May 2, 2017
First Responder Network Authority Weekly Update to the State and Territory Single Points of Contact (SPOC) – May 1, 2017
- This week marks FirstNet’s first month in a public-private partnership with AT&T, working with its team of Motorola Solutions, General Dynamics, Sapient Consulting and Inmarsat Government on the successful deployment of the Network. Please see Mike Poth’s blog highlighting a number of priorities, such as State Plans and the FirstNet core network architecture.
- Last week, FirstNet President TJ Kennedy participated in the Canadian Public Safety Broadband Network Workshop in Ottawa, presenting on the background of FirstNet and highlighting some lessons learned thus far that could be beneficial for our Canadian colleagues as they work towards their own public safety network.
- Also last week, FirstNet CEO Mike Poth and Board member Teri Takai spoke at the National Association of State Chief Information Officers’ (NASCIO) DC Fly-In event in Washington, DC.
- FirstNet Board member Kevin McGinnis delivered a FirstNet update last week at the National Rural EMS Conference in Fargo, North Dakota.
- FirstNet also staffed an exhibit booth last week at the Fire Department Instructors Conference (FDIC) International in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Additionally last week, FirstNet and AT&T staff presented together at the 3rd Annual Tribal Utility Gathering of the Oceti Sakowin Power Authority in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- This week, FirstNet held a SPOC webinar to focus on the release of the State Plan Guidance Package. The slides from the webinar are attached to this email.
- FirstNet also will be participating in the Minnesota Public Safety Communications Conference in St. Cloud; the Regional Joint Tribal Emergency Preparedness Conference in Suquamish, Washington; the Indiana “Nothing but ‘Net’” Conference in French Lick; a Rhode Island Interoperable Communications Committee meeting in Lincoln; joint meetings of SAFECOM and the National Council of Statewide Interoperability Coordinators (NCSWIC) in San Antonio, Texas; the Department of Defense Installation Management Commands Conference in North Charleston, South Carolina; a Major Cities Chiefs Association Technology Committee meeting in Chicago, Illinois; the Michigan EMS Expo on Mackinac Island; and the Oklahoma State Fire School in Tulsa.
- Last week, FirstNet posted one new blog: PSAC Profile: National Public Safety Telecommunications Council (NPSTC).
- NTIA is seeking expressions of interest from individuals who wish to serve on the FirstNet Board. One of the twelve nonpermanent Board member seats is currently vacant, and the appointments of four current nonpermanent Board members expire this August. Expressions of interest are due May 22.
News from the PSAC, States and Territories
- The summer 2017 in-person PSAC meeting will be Thursday, June 15th, 2017, in San Antonio, Texas, after the conclusion of the PSCR annual conference. PSAC members are asked to reference instructions to book invitational travel as outlined via email, and send any questions to PSAC@firstnet.gov.
- The summer 2017 in-person Tribal Working Group meeting will be Monday, July 24th, in Flagstaff, Arizona, one day in advance of the field session of the Tribal-Interior Budget Council (TIBC). Instructions for making invitational travel arrangements are forthcoming.
*The information provided is copied as-is from the media outlet source and is not edited by FirstNet. Links to non-Federal Government websites do not constitute endorsement of any product, service, organization, company, information provider, or content. Clicking on non-Department of Commerce hyperlinks will direct you to websites that are not under the Government’s control.
StateScoop 4/26: NASCIO D.C. Fly-In: State CIOs and feds dig into tax data, election hacks and FirstNet
State technology leaders from across the U.S. are gathering with federal officials to talk about elections, tax data, cybersecurity, FirstNet and a host of other pressing issues as part of the National Association of State Chief Information Officers' annual Washington, D.C., Fly-In on Wednesday.
MissionCritical Communications 4/26: AT&T Reports Quarterly Financials, Touts FirstNet Win
AT&T touted its contract award with the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) in its first-quarter financial results. However, the carrier reported lower revenues compared with the year-ago quarter primarily because of a record-low device upgrade rate.
RCRWireless 4/26: FirstNet deployment to enable simultaneous network upgrades
On its quarterly call, AT&T executives discussed: The First Responders Network Authority contract win as part of their overall strategy. AT&T expects to have draft deployment plans in front of states by June, and to start seeing opt in/opt out choices into the fourth quarter. Stephens said that AT&T hopes to encourage states to opt in and “move as quickly as possible with the, if you will, encouragement that we are ready to go, and the first ones that opt in are going to get that first investment in their state, that build in their state, that job creation in their state. So we think that’s a good strategy.” AT&T also expects that the FirstNet deployment will enable it to do simultaneous deployment of equipment.
Web and Social Media
FirstNet’s social media presence grew at its normal rate this week. Twitter gained 55 new followers, now at 6,041. Facebook has 1,075 followers. LinkedIn now has 2,286 followers. YouTube has 431 subscribers.