FirstNet Weekly Update - February 12, 2018
February 12, 2018 - First Responder Network Authority News
- Last week, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross announced the appointment of four individuals to serve on the Board of the First Responder Network Authority, including three new members. Read the press release here.
- Last Week, First Responder Network Authority Chief Technology Officer Jeff Bratcher spoke at the Colorado Wireless Association’s Annual Education Conference in Centennial.
- First Responder Network Authority staff also presented at the Integrated Justice Information System (IJIS) Institute’s National Symposium last week in Arlington, Virginia.
- The Public Safety Advisory Committee’s (PSAC) Tribal Working Group also met last week in Phoenix, Arizona.
- This week, the First Responder Network Authority will participate in a National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors “Leveraging FirstNet for Rural” webinar; the National Congress of American Indians’ Executive Council Winter Session in Washington, DC; the National Emergency Number Association 9-1-1 Goes to Washington in Washington, DC; a meeting with the Essex County Fire Chiefs Association in Middletown, Massachusetts; a meeting with the New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police in Hookset; a FirstNet Regional Workshop in Roanoke, Virginia; a FEMA Region I Regional Emergency Communications Coordination Working Group meeting in Maynard, Massachusetts; a briefing with the Maryland Emergency Management Agency in Reisterstown; a Nebraska Public Safety Broadband Working Group meeting in Lincoln; the New England Division of the International Association of Fire Chiefs Board of Directors meeting in Springfield, Massachusetts, the Media Institute Communications Forum in Washington, DC; a Canada-U.S. Communications Interoperability Working Group webinar; a meeting of the Northwest North Dakota Coordinated Regional Interoperability Board in Minot; and Vermont regional outreach meetings in South Burlington and Pittsford.
- Share news about FirstNet products and services on FirstNet.com, and follow FirstNet on social media at:
News from the PSAC
- The next full PSAC in-person meeting will be held on Monday, June 4 in San Diego, California. Additional details are forthcoming.
- The 2018 June Public Safety Broadband Stakeholder Meeting is just around the corner. A room block has been reserved at the Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego Bay at the government per diem rate of $167 per night. To make your reservation online, use this link. If you prefer to make your reservation over the phone, call 619-239-2400 and use the group code "NST." There are a limited number of rooms reserved, so it is recommended that you book your room as soon as possible. Please pass this information on to any of your associates attending this year's conference.
*The information provided is copied as-is from the media outlet source and is not edited by FirstNet. Links to non-Federal Government websites do not constitute endorsement of any product, service, organization, company, information provider, or content. Clicking on non-Department of Commerce hyperlinks will direct you to websites that are not under the Government’s control.
Detroit News 2/5: Oakland Co. among first with new communications tech
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said Monday his department will be the first in Michigan and one of the first in the nation to equip officers with FirstNet, a communications tool that can save lives.
FOX Carolina 2/7: New communications system prioritizes emergency responders' calls during catastrophic emergencies
A new communications network called "FirstNet" was created so public safety officials will never have to deal with that during catastrophic events.
Urgent Communications 2/8: FirstNet gets three new board members, while one spot remains open
U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross today appointed three new FirstNet board members and the appointment of another board member to three-year terms, leaving the FirstNet board with one open seat and no clear state-government representative among its current membership.